SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, September 5, 2019

A Les Miserables Stage Concert // Theatre Review.




It's the most talked-about show of the summer. A classic well-known piece of theatre that's been changed into an all-star staged concert for only 16 weeks! This is due to the Queens Theatre which is now being called the Sodieum theatre is being refurbished. Performances for Les Miserables The All Staged Concert is at the Gielguld Theatre just next door!

I mean let's just take a moment to talk about the casting for a second. The casting within this musical is probably the best, and I hold myself to this now and forevermore I have ever been lucky to have a chance to see. With the likes of Michael Ball, Alfie Boe, Matt Lucas, and Carrie Hope Fletcher There is certainly no room for complaints. This casting choice did not disappoint in the slightest, as soon as Alfie Boe came out to sing the crowd was already cheering. Although I'm a huge fangirl for my big named West end stars, Matt Lucas personally stole the show for me. With his hilariously witty remarks both in and out of a script. Including his singing had us all within fits of laughter whenever his presence graced the stage.

Although the show was titled as Les Miserables. The atmosphere that filled the theatre was of a totally different level of vibe.  With it being an all-star staged concert, the production differed to the normal style Les Mis is normally seen as. The show was filled with the cast singing songs from the show and acting was kept to a minimum. Although like in much Les Mis tradition, the marching during 'Do You Hear The People Sing' had to be kept in. So, in this case, the stage production was of such a lower-end scale as compared to the previous version of the show itself.

Special mentions had to definitely go to Carrie Hope Fletcher singing 'I Dreamed A Dream'. I wasn't very sure of how Carrie would fit into the role of Fantine. But a casting choice here was so right. It felt like the emotion her character was feeling at that particular time was pouring through every word she sang. Let's just say I got very emotional. Another special mention has to go to Alfie Boe during 'Bring Him Home' because again just like Carrie, the singing took me away with emotions and I am pretty sure every single person felt the same as the cheering he received after was out of this world.

Another thing I would like to add is Shan Ako playing Éponine, was a phenomenal choice. Her voice was just as strong as the Éponine's before her. She's a real hidden gem. Much like her co-star Lily Kerhoas playing Cossette. Her innocent and sweet singing voice and acting really helped her make the role her own.

I have never seen a crowd react in such a way after the performance had finished. If anything it was such a blessing to be able to see such a star-studded cast, from new performers to older performers. This performance was one to definitely last a life time in my memories and I wish I could do it all again.

Have you seen this particular version of Les Miserables or seen it before? I would love to know!
Until next time. Thank you for reading!
Toodlepip lovelies
Lucy x



No comments :

Post a Comment