SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, August 9, 2019

A Rocky Horror Theatre Review.


The iconic Rocky Horror show took a jump to the left as it arrived into my local theatre. Growing up I watched the movie quite a lot due to it is not only a cult classic but one of my mum's favourite movies. Although watching the movie and my many years of dipping my toe in different styles of the theatre realm, I was not prepared for this.

Now, in case you have never heard of the Rocky Horror Show. (Although you must have been living under a rock for most of your life). The show starts with Brad and his wife to be Janet, are stranded during a storm as their car breaks downs two miles from a castle. Home to Dr frank n Furter the star of the show himself. Played by Stephen Webb in the show I saw, who was exceptional from start to finish. the story unravels itself from there with the craziness of aliens, forbidden planets, sexual adventures and the epic 'Time Warp' that'll get you up and dancing on your two feet in no time.

I feel the most appropriate way to categorize my thoughts on the show and addressing all the good (and bad) parts is in the midst of a bullet point list. I mean who doesn't love a list?

Audience Participation. 
During the 5:30 show I watched on a Friday evening the crowd were as rowdy as ever but in a controlled way. Heckling with perfect timing and with the correct wording that was greeted with laughter all around. They were no match for Steve Punt who's witty remarks were also matched with laughter. Him playing the narrator made the show, and in some regards it makes you wonder if Steve is actually given a script or if the hecklers are his script. In my eyes, Steve is the best fit for the role. (The role of the narrator changes as the tour travels and relocates theatres). 

Although the audience was hesitated at first, which is always surprising seeming eighty percent of the audience were dressed up in their finest rocky horror outfits or should I say dressed down. They were up and dancing in no time during the time warp and waving their lights during 'there's a light'. (Which is my favourite song of the entire performance). 

Casting Choice. 
Joanne Clifton's butter wouldn't melt Janet, (slut) really showed that footwork wasn't the only thing she was talented for. Often known in relation to her brother Kevin Clifton. Joanne's vocals and acting really stole the show for me. Don't get me wrong I love the theatre in all premises but I'm often hesitant and in some cases reluctant to view a show when a 'big name' is put up. And her pairing with James Darch's boy next door approach to Brad (asshole) gave the knight in shining armor pantomime effect to the overall show.

Most loved and recognized for his muscles when playing Rocky is Calum Evans. Don't get me wrong he is a fine specimen of a man (that's mostly due to the reason of his creation). His acrobatic moves resulted in adding another level of madness into the show.  Although at one point it made me laugh when he proceeded to leave the stage doing a handstand as Dr. Frank sang his second solo of the show about going home.

Sound, Set, and Lighting.
With many a touring show, space is limited as compared to that of West End production. However, is this version of Rocky horror the set was not compromised in the slightest and with the aid of the lighting worked really well. Although one thing to be noted here is if you or anybody that you know suffers from epilepsy beware of the flashing lights as they are repeated throughout the show.

In terms of song performances, the best eruption of wolf whistles and cheering from the crowd was as Dr. Frank stepped on in his own opening number. The first notes of 'Sweet transvestite' had been played and everyone went crazy. This was very much rightly so as Stephen Webb's voice and acting were next to nothing I had seen before. He embodied the character beautifully and played to everyone in the fantasies of the audience!

I thoroughly enjoyed watching every minute of the performance and applaud the hard work each performer put into every show they did, not just the week they were down at the Cliffs but for all of the tours. If you haven't seen Rocky Horror yourself you really need to check it out.

Until next time. Toodlepip lovelies 
Lucy x






No comments :

Post a Comment